Re: [DML] Towing a DMC

Craig,

Having towed many vehicles, including a couple
Delorean's, let me say this first---I would NOT
recommend towing your 'D' behind a motorhome.
Motorhomes kick up a lot more road crap and everything
dripping or exhausting from yours will find it's way
to the surface of the car.  It's like driving 4-5 feet
behind an 18-wheeler.

But, if you really want to give it a shot here's what
I have learned:

---The hitch you use will have to be 'frame mounted'
as there is no bumper, per se, to hook to.  Many
brands on the market, but I hear Blue Ox performs very
well.

---If you tow with all four wheels on the ground, make
sure you disconnect the battery and turn the ignition
key to run.  This prevents the steering lock from
engaging and will allow the car to 'track' behind the
motorhome with no battery drain.

---Consider using a tow dolly.  These are very
managable by one person.  Make sure the one you use is
wide enough to fit the Delorean on.  Most are only a
couple of inches wider than the front wheel distance.
You have to be real careful loading, but extremely
careful making any sharp turns.  Too sharp and the
fender skirts on the dolly will contact the car's
stainless and then you've got that to fix.  Huge
expense!!

---Lastly, and I know this sounds stupid, make sure
the car is in neutral and the emergency brake off,
before you even start your motorhome----then double
check again!!!!  Experienced at doing both even though
it was only 50 feet.  :-)

You may contact me offline if you have any further
questions.

Mike Clemens    TPS     1630

http://mail.yahoo.com