Re: [DML] Re: Catalytic converters and California

Re: [DML] Re: Catalytic converters and California

Nathan is correct about our cars not having the OBD standard.  OBD
was not adopted as a standard until 1988.  It is the OBD 2 standard
that the cats are not legal for in california and that was not
adopted as a standard until 1996.  Unless you have an OBD II car that
monitors oxygen sensor both before and after the catalytic then the
catalytic that Special T Auto or any other vendor sells will pass
California smog for pre-OBD II cars.

As a side note for California smog, you cannot bye or sell a used
catalytic converter, or tamper with any "Functioning" smog
equipment.  This usually means, if the catalytic is not
malfunctioning, then  you cannot just change it.

-Glenn
6265