[DML] Re: Rule of 20

You are absolutley correct. The "Rule of Twenty" is NOT a hard and
fast calculation. Many factors affect it. Maybe you want to transport
the car to DMCH and have them do the work. Maybe you want a local
place to mess it up. Maybe you want to learn how to fix a car for the
first time and it is going to be on a "cheap" Delorean. Maybe it's a
non-runner and the engine and trans are junk. Maybe you want to use it
as a daily driver as you try to make it reliable and get towed home
once a week for a month. If any of this sounds familiar you probably
spent a lot more than $20,000. The point of the "Rule of Twenty" is to
try to convince a newbie that the cheapest car he can find is not
going to cost the least. In the car hobby generally the more you can
spend the less it will cost overall. Of course you CAN find bargains
and you CAN find that $15,000 car that is really a $7,500 car. You
NEED a knowledgeable person to help determine what the true value is
of the car you intend to buy. Make it the "Rule of Twenty Five" if you
want, it is the principle that is important.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757