[DML] RE: Three needles in a hay stack : finding tires. LON

[DML] RE: Three needles in a hay stack : finding tires. LON

Finding Tires can be very worrisome especially if you happen to have a flat.  I
was driving from charleston SC to orlando on the friday of MLK weekend.  I was
on Hwy 17 about 7 miles from I-95 and 13 miles from Beaufort south carolina
(know where that is?  neither did I!), when I started feeling a thump on my
driver's side.  I pulled in the grass as there is no shoulder and realized I in
fact had a flat.  Luckily my cell phone worked in this area and I called AAA to
bring a flatbead and take me to the nearest tire facility (16 miles away).  As
I was waiting for the truck, I started calling every tire place listed in my
GPS system and asking if they had 235 60 R 15s  I didn't care about the brand,
I was in the middle of no where and I needed any tire.  1 place I called had 1
uniroyal, and no one else had this size, they closed at 5:30 and the truck came
to pick me up at 5:10.   The truck driver recognized that we were unlikely to
find this size tire any where else and began to book it, and we were going 85
mph in the flatbead with my D on board, it was a little scary. My plan was to
buy their tire and take it to a place that was open late which (would have been
a pain).  Fortunately one of the drivers dispatchers suggested TIRE kingdom, a
new establishment in the area that happend to have 2 bf goodwrench tires and
were open until 8.  So they dropped me off there and I had two new tires put on
the rear at a cost of ~$230.
Some of the uninitiated my ask why I didn't put the spare on, I do keep the
spare with the car and I would have used it if I had no cell signal, but I have
had 2 flat tires in deloreans before and the spare always comes off the rim and
ends up grinding on the road.  I would have done that to save my rim at the
expense of the spare but that would have been a heck of a drive to the tire
place.
Moral of the story is, check your tires, my tread looked alright and I only had
~20,000 miles on the rear goodyear eagles I replaced.  I wouldn't have tried to
repair the tire unless it was the only option, but thats just me.

Joe P.
VIN 17167 6808