Re: [DML] Drive the dream?

biojerm wrote:
> Hello all, im new to this group.
> Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
> would get one until i was in my 40's.

Hiya. Welcome aboard.
> As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
> delorean 20k miles on it and I was wondering if I should get it.
> had 3 owners, 20k miles on original engine, dash is custom made it
> looks. only 2 small dings in body you can only see at the right angle.
> A handfull of misc. problems <driver window slipping, buttons falling
> off, missing keys, etc.>
>
> wants $7k for it, Engine starts choking when givin over 1/2 throttle,
> may be bad injector or fuel mixture, but runs great in idle and at low
> speeds, said he tried it on the freeway and got it to 60mph but isnt a
> delorean fan and just wants to get rid of it.
>
> Tranny gears work <automatic> but you have to manual switch to first,
> then manual switch to drive at the right speed, 2nd and 3rd work fine.
> the entire dash has been custom replaced <not original>.

Well the price doesn't sound bad. I'd jump on it, and i'm sure others on
this list would like the guy's name and number if you dont get the car
as well. The transmission issues sound like the governor computer needs
to be rebuilt or replaced. As for the bogging down, if you get the car
you should start with a major tuneup and have all the injectors cleaned
and tested, make sure there are no vacuum leaks,  then go from there.
> I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
> reliable car. but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
> these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
> to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has except
> for "delorean" transmission.
>
> This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k a year,
> but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream car.
> Anyone have any suggestions? Paying too much? Im not really looking
> into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use all
> my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?

There is no need to do an engine swap just to have a reliable car. The
PRV-6 is as reliable as anything else as long as you maintain it like
any engine should be. Unless you have alot of free time, very astute
mechanical and problem solving skills, and a lot of free cash. Or even
more free cash to pay someone else to do the work if you lack the first
two, then I wouldn't recommend an engine swap.. If you did you'd
defiantly have to lose the auto. I don't think they can handle much more
HP. Though i've heard the stock UN1 5speed can take 280-300 hp as long
as it's not highly abused. I've heard of hardened gear sets and shafts
for it that can take 500hp but i'm going by memory there, and have no
idea of the cost of it either. I pondered this option with my own D but
decided against it due to the fact that my rough estimates pointed to
around having $35k in the car for any kind of worthwhile engine swap. As
it stands i'll probably have at least $20k in it just from the
restoration as it is. If you still want engine upgraded and don't know
exactly what your doing, i.e. have experience doing custom engine swaps
in other vehicles, then your best bet would probably be to get a stage2
engine from DMCH. I can guarantee it'd be cheaper and quicker than doing
an engine swap yourself, plus you wouldn't lose the support you could
get here on engine related issues

--
Chris
VIN# 3209