Re: [DML] Drive the dream?

The DeLorean engine is very reliable, why not just keep it like that. You will save a lot of money and bother by keeping the original engine too. I think as soon as someone starts swopping engines the car is no longer a proper DMC-12.

  Once you have the engine and gearbox sorted, you will love it!

  My car was $7,600 when I got it on ebay, and I have spent over the same amount getting mine driving and looking good. I'd say I have another $5000 to put into it before it begins to look very good.

  Good luck
  Thomas Mc Auley
  Belfast, Northern Ireland
  Vin #4087

biojerm <Jedamay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hello all, im new to this group.
Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
would get one until i was in my 40's.

As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
delorean 20k miles on it and I was wondering if I should get it.
had 3 owners, 20k miles on original engine, dash is custom made it
looks. only 2 small dings in body you can only see at the right angle.
A handfull of misc. problems off, missing keys, etc.>

wants $7k for it, Engine starts choking when givin over 1/2 throttle,
may be bad injector or fuel mixture, but runs great in idle and at low
speeds, said he tried it on the freeway and got it to 60mph but isnt a
delorean fan and just wants to get rid of it.

Tranny gears work but you have to manual switch to first,
then manual switch to drive at the right speed, 2nd and 3rd work fine.
the entire dash has been custom replaced .

I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
reliable car. but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has except
for "delorean" transmission.

This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k a year,
but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream car.
Anyone have any suggestions? Paying too much? Im not really looking
into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use all
my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?