[DML] DMC - Rear-End Collision Denver

Bad news for me and my Delorean, after 21 years of ownership and over 42K miles the worst has finally happened to vin 03254. It was a nice day Tuesday a week ago in Denver so I decided to stretch her legs and drive to work.

On the way home suddenly all of the cars in front of me started performing a strange dance! Everybody was stopping or darting onto the shoulder of the road and changing lanes. Fortunately I had plenty of room to stop but by looking in the mirror, I noticed the person behind me may not have enough room so I took my foot off the brake. As it turns out I was right, the car behind me crashed into the passenger side square in the tail pipe. She tried to make it onto the shoulder of the road but ran out of space.

The damage is limited due to the relatively slow speed of the accident and the fact that my car was able to roll a bit after impact, but it is still going to be costly to the other drivers insurance. Like I said I was hit right in the tailpipe so my muffler was mangled and shoved into the heatshield, which was crushed and mangled just missing the alternator. Also my rear fascia is creased, scared and knocked out of alignment. No damage to any of the stainless and except for the muffler/heatshield brackets and bolts the damage is pretty minimal. The Celica actually got underneath me a bit so my tail lights and license plate frame are all intact!

I consider myself lucky it was a new Toyota Celica and not an SUV here in Colorado! An SUV would have destroyed my backside! More good news is I think (No agreement yet) the insurance company is convinced that the best way to get my car fixed right is to pay for sending it to DMCH. No pressure though Warren and company.... Right now I am waiting for the final estimate then I need to arrange transportation and scheduling.

What I find curious is that yes my brakes are fairly good, as in 4 wheel disks in reasonable working order, the Celica has a great braking system including ABS, so I guess driver error is really the best explanation for why they couldn't stop in time?!?

Have a Great Day.

Dan Haney
Vin 03254 In need of a bit of TLC

PeoplePC Online