[DML] Re: Backup light help.

On an automatic the back-up lights are controlled by the
reverse/neutral switch located on the transmission. Since the bulbs
were removed it is obvious this has been a known problem for some time
and the P.O. just removed the bulbs to  "correct" it. Before condeming
the reverse switch (which does not commonly fail) I would suspect that
the wiring harness got melted on the exhaust pipe. Carefully inspect
every inch of the several wires that go to the transmission from the
plug on the firewall. Generally, if the damage is not severe, it can
be repaired with good electrical tape. Since only your lights seem to
be affected it should not be too bad. Strap-tie the wires away from
all heat sources. If this is not the problem and the switch is good
you could have a wiring problem elsewhere. In that case you are just
going to have to follow the circuit to find the trouble.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757