[DML] Re: Maybe Catalytic?

I am also in CA (Southern) and had the same problem when I brought
my car in from Colorado. I kept failing NOx. Things I ended up
replacing: Cat (with SpecialT replacement) Tune-up, O2 sensor. I
retested after this and STILL failed. I took the car to the guys at
DMC in Garden Grove and they had their smog guy run the car. Before
they took the car in they re adjusted the fuel mixture to bring it
into spec. I ended up passing. In fact, I was told that my car
should have passed on the other (3) occasions but the technician who
tested it was not getting the wheels up to the proper RPM. In
retrospect I don't think that my Cat needed replacement.

Nathan
2277
--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Redgee Capili" <redgee@xxxx> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> It's been a while since I've written the group.  I read through
some of the
> archives (lots of great information there), but I was hoping to
get some
> experienced minds on this one.
>
> I recently failed my smot test (California), and the results were
as
> follows:
>
> At 15mph
> RPM - 1916
> CO2 - 14.2
> O2 - 0.1
> HC - 141max, 45ave, 94meas
> CO - 0.99max, 0.16ave, 0.94meas
> NO - 1148max, 434ave, 45meas
> Result - Pass
>
> At 25mph
> RPM - 1903
> CO2 - 14.4
> O2 - 0.5
> HC - 113max, 33ave, 15meas
> CO - 0.79max, 0.14ave, 0.00meas <--- this showed normal after a
manual test
> NO - 978max, 357ave, 1787meas  <<<<< problem - pass is 1100
> Result - Fail
>
> The technician went through a series of checks based on the
results and he
> suggested either the fuel injection or fuel pump not sending
enough gas OR
> the catalytic converter is no longer effective.  The Nitrogen
Oxide readings