Re: [DML] Re: Values

On 1/18/06, Dan <djdanwilson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily
> Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a
> value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use
> the low retail value.

What?! LOL!

As the owner of a DeLorean I drive every day, I find that hilarious.
My car is "turn-key" with a huge number of new/upgraded parts. Mileage
notwithstanding, I find it incredible that NADA (anyone, really) would
book a car so low purely based on "daily driver" status.

Think about the value of a car to most buyers: A DeLorean with all new
parts, in which you can turn the key and drive as long and far as you
like? Or a car with all-original everything, unable to be driven much
due to the deteriorating components? I've found many (I hesitate to
say "most") DeLoreans for sale need a huge amount of work to be usable
for anything other than short, Sunday drives - close to home & with
towing insurance.

Don't get me wrong, my car isn't a full frame-off restoration like
you'd get from DMCH, but it's the next best thing. It sure as hell
isn't a $10,000 "low book value" car. In another 8-10 years when it's
got 150k miles on the clock I'll still be running a huge number of new
parts and I'll still be perfectly reliable - while the "classics" that
sit in garages and gather dust will require even more time and money
to be useful than they do today.

-Ryan