[DML] Rebuilding Starters and Motorola Alternators?

[DML] Rebuilding Starters and Motorola Alternators?

I'm facing the need to get both my starter and Motorola alternator
addressed soon.  I'm not displeased with the options for new and rebuilt
components out there, but in the past I've had good luck on other
vehicles having these units professionally rebuilt.  Living in the LA
are there are a number of very good shops that do this work at
apparently competitive prices.  I've talked with two local vendors who
have both said they should be able to get the proper components, perhaps
even a higher output stator and related components for the alternator,
for prices right around $100 each.  This would include blasting the
casings and refinishing, etc.  All of these promises were made though
the components are still assembled and on the car mind you.

I've heard from other sources that the components, particularly for the
alternator, have become very difficult to find.  Who else has been
through is recently?  Did anyone find a specific shop I should be
talking to (I'm in LA but I'm already looking at shipping charges if I
replace the units, so no good option is out).

Any help appreciated.

Tom Tait
10902