[DML] Re: stamping dies and auto manufacturing

[DML] Re: stamping dies and auto manufacturing

I don't know what it would take for DMCH to be able to resume
production but a big part of the problem would be to make the car meet
today's current safety standards. Just the testing and engineering
would cost a fortune. Remember, DMCH can do anything EXCEPT create a
vin #. Without that authority all they can legaly do is take an
existing car (and it's vin #) and remake the car. At this time it is
still a LOT cheaper to remake a car as opposed to trying to "build" a
car. It is all a matter of economics. If DMCH *could* build a new car
it would probably cost so much that most people would rather buy a
rebuilt (remade) car. As it is now how many are springing for a
rebuilt car? At $37,500 many people figure they can do better buying a
car (any car) and fixing it up themselves and still spending less than
$37K. A "new" Delorean is going to be at least $50K. With such a
limited market no one is going to make "new" Deloreans. This is why
you almost never see orphan cars going back into production. If they
couldn't do it the first time what makes you think it can be done the
2nd time?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757