Re: [DML] RE: Louder Horns for DMC...one more question.

Re: [DML] RE: Louder Horns for DMC...one more question.

Alex,
Keep in mind there are other accessories on that fuse. So the wiring to the
horns may only be rated for the stock ones. The D's wiring wasn't designed
very well, so it would be possible to overload the horn circuit and not
blow a fuse. Sure if you shorted it, the overload would be short enough not
to damage the wiring much before the fuse blows. But if you run say 15-19
amps through the horn wiring, it may melt. Where exactly, I can't say.

The whole point to using a relay is that the horn circuit now only powers
the relay coil (uses just a fraction of an amp). The horns then get their
power from that new wire that you run from the battery. This wire should be
heavier gauge and be able to support the current demands. The relay then
switches the current on and off to the new horns when you press the horn
button.

With the horns being a safety device, you don't want to risk using the
stock wiring with horns that demand more current. A properly wired relay
will make the louder horns perform well and be reliable in a D.

Chris
VIN 4099