[DML] Re: "Bench Bleeding"

Although it is pretty easy to remove the master cylinder it can be
bled in the car. Here is a short, simple procedure:
1) remove all brake fluid (as much as you can) from the resovoir
2) fill with fresh Castrol
3) attach the bleed tubes
4) have an assistant SLOWLY step on the pedal and he should only go
1/2 way, not all the way down to the floor
5) watch for the air bubbles to stop from both tubes
6) If the fluid is dark remove and refill again with fresh and bleed
again till clear
7) once bled with nice, clean brake fluid reattach the brake lines and
bleed each wheel going around the car at least twice making sure you
are getting clear fluid with no air bubbles.
I have bled many car's brake systems and quite a few Deloreans. I have
found that Deloreans need to have the master cylinder bled separately
from the car's system, unlike most cars which can be done while
bleeding the whole system. Remember, on a Delorean there is no
proportioning valve, that may be the reason? Another possability can
also be a bad brake hose that swells when you step on the brakes.
Watch the hoses as your assistant steps on the brakes. If you see any
of them swell they MUST be replaced. BTW with the brake lines removed
the only other things holding the master cylinder in is the wire to
the low switch and the 2 nuts on the booster. It takes only a couple
of minutes to pull the master cylinder. You can stick it in a vise and
use a screwdriver to bleed it with the tubes. Makes it easier to dump
the old stuff out and clean it up. Just plug the outlets till you can
reinstall the brake lines in the car. There is the possability you
have to rebuild the rear calipers if the pistons are stuck.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757