[DML] HORN ADJUSTMENT

Hello Group,

Several people have contacted me about the horn
adjustment, so I'll post it for all.

The Delorean horns are MIXO's made in France.  One is
a high note and the other is a low note.  The first
thing you need to do is check to see if the plastic
bell horns are in good condition.  To do this,
disconnect the electrical connections and remove the
horns from their mounting brackets.

Inspect the plastic bell for cracks and corrosion,
especially around the four (4) mounting screws that
hold the metal base to the plastic.  Due to how the
horns are mounted on the car, they are very
susceptible to moisture corrosion.  If a bell is
cracked, then it is best to contact a vendor for a new
one.

If the bell is in good condition, lay it on your
workbench with the mounting bolt facing up.  Take a 12
volt source (I use a lawnmower battery) and connect a
jumper from the negative post to the mounting bolt on
the horn.  Connect another jumper to the positive post
and touch it to the spade connector on the horn.  The
horn should sound if it is in good shape.  If you
don't have the tone or loudness you want, there is a 7
mm bolt head about one inch from the mounting bolt
(opposite side from the spade connector) that is the
adjustment screw.  Just turn it a quarter turn either
way and test again.  If the sound gets better, you are
going the right way and if it is worse, go one half
turn the opposite direction and test again.  Every one
has their own thoughts as to what sounds good so you
will have to be the judge of what you want your horns
to sound like and adjust accordingly.

Now, once you have set both the low and high notes,
you will need another set of jumpers so you can hear
both of them together, just like they will sound on
the car.  After you have hooked up the two negatives,
touch both positive spades at the same time to hear
the horns together.

Now comes a very important part, "re-installation".
Make sure you have a good solid ground (no corrosion)
when you bolt them back on the car.  Do not face the
bells forward or they will be great moisture
collectors.  Turn them so the opening faces inboard
(towards the radiator) and this way they will resonate
off the car and sound even louder than on the bench.
(The same principal as the chimes on a grandfather
clock)

If you still have problems, contact me off list with
your phone number and I'll call and help you trouble
shoot.

Mike     TPS      1630

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com