Re: [DML] BTTF 4 is TRUE

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx> wrote:

> On 1/5/06, Dan <djdanwilson@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The thinking might be a BTTF film for a new generation
> > might call for a newer car this young generation can relate to.
>
> GAAAAHHHH!!!!!
>
> Marty: "Are you saying... you built a time machine.... out of a
Civic?!?!"

I think you're missing my point. A car like a Civic is not what I was
referring to. A Civic in 2005 does not have the same "tarnished"
reputation a DeLorean did in 1985. Making a time machine out of a car
that, even in it's day, was way left of center, then had sort of
"crashed & burned" in the eyes of the public, was campy, and that's
what made using it humorous. Throw in the fact that it was also the
perfect car to pull off the "crashed spaceship" gag, and the use of
the DMC-12 was pure genius. The car was too perfect for the role in
multiple ways. At least, that's my opinion. Use of a Corvette, Trans
Am, or as we have heard, a Mustang, would not have come off as campy
or amusing at all.

My point was, for a contemporary telling of the story they might
consider using a vehicle that this generation is familiar with that is
both unmistakably associated with this era, like the DeLorean was to
the '80s, and currently has a similar reputation to the one the
DeLorean did in '85. Off the top of my head I can't think of such a car.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D