Re: [DML] Water pump and internal water pipe removal

Re: [DML] Water pump and internal water pipe removal

It can be very difficult to get the tank out. They used grease to get
it in and the grease hardens into a kind of glue or cement and the
foam pads kind of make it stick in place. Unless you HAVE to remove it
to do a frame repair I suggest leaving it in. You can clean it well
without removing it. If you still insist on removing it you can try
standing on it and using your foot to try to work the back, pointy
edge down. You can also try a 2x4 to lever it out. Pry bars and
screwdrivers will only flex a small area, they are too narrow. You can
try using a wire to cut the foam pads too. Do not cut the tank up,
there is no reason to damage it and another tank is not cheap. You
have all the access you need from the top where the fuel pump goes in
to reach in and clean the insides. It doesn't get much better even if
you remove the tank. With acetone you can clean it up very nice
inside, it should not have to be removed to be steamed. Another way to
get the tank out has been discovered by another poster on the list. I
do not recomend it. First remove the plate. Next, fill the tank with
gas. Now drive on a bumpy road and wait for the Fire Department to
clean up the mess!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757