[DML] Re: AutoWeek Delorean Article.

It's interesting that Autoweek has made this comparison of the
DeLorean to the Boss 302 Mustang, because I've made it a thousand
times. My Dad has owned his '69 Boss 302 since 1973, when it was
traded in at my Grandpa's Ford dealership. I have to say I really
doubt there are less Boss 302's around than DeLoreans from my
experience though. I've been a part of Mustang clubs and the classic
car hobby in general all my life because of my Dad's Boss, and I've
come across countless Boss Mustangs. I've only ever bumped into ONE
DeLorean at a car show without my knowledge that the car would be
there, but Boss's seem to pop up about everywhere (I saw yet another
one in someone's driveway last week). Like the DeLorean, Boss 302's
were pretty much collector cars right out of the box, and they seem
to have a higher survival rate than many collectible cars.

If it isn't the rarity difference, then what really makes the Boss
more valuable than the DeLorean then? It certainly isn't their
handling or braking... the Boss is downright frightening in those
departments, I know first hand lol. And critics always moan about
the DeLorean's build quality and reliability... let me tell you the
Boss's are less than stellar in those departments too. Boss's are
loud, crude, ride hard, don't brake, or corner worth a darn, break
easily and often, yet are still worth about twice as much as
DeLoreans are (average retail now is $42k+ for a Boss, which
originally stickered for $3.5k new).

It's really a combination of things which make the Boss such a hot
collectible. First and foremost... racing. They barnstormed the
Trans Am series in 1969 and 1970, pretty much slaughtering the
competition and really turned the racing world upside down. The cars
were really just built for homologation purposes, so that Ford could
race at Trans Am. This makes the Boss *different from the start*...
the DeLorean, though a unique automobile, was really in essence just
a standard production model... it had no fancy varients (except the
handful of Legend cars, which DO fetch Boss prices and THEN SOME!).

I think even more importantly, the Boss was important to a
generation which now has LOTS of disposable cash, the baby boomers.
Many people from that generation want the car, and can and DO pay
big bucks to acquire one. From what I've seen the baby boomers are
largely disinterested in the DeLorean... they're all about Muscle
Cars for the most part. Does that mean all hope is lost for the
DeLorean? Not hardly! Kids who grew up in the '80s with the lore of
JZD, and more importantly, Back To The Future, are now in their 20s
and 30s. They're starting to have enough money of their own to buy
THEIR dream car, the DeLorean. I'm a perfect example... I'm 23 and
have owned not one, but TWO DeLoreans. My guess is that DeLorean
values will only continue to rise (especially over the next 10
years), but Boss 302 values will plateu, and eventually begin to
fall off as the generation that cherishes that car begins to age
further and die off.

And there is my little thesis on collector car values :-). I told
you guys I wouldn't totally disappear after I sold DeLorean #2!

Louie Golden
VIN: plotting on how to acquire DeLorean #3 :-)