[DML] Re: Spark Plug Problem

Scott,

In theory you should not have to remove the head. If you have a reputable automotive
engine repair shop near you, they should be able to fix it for you in the car. Although it
may require removing the intake manifold for ease of access. It just depends on what they
think they can do with the space provided.

 If not, The only way to fix it is with A Sparkplug thread repair kit.  The challange is that
the plug threads are deep in the wells of the head, it may require using an extension on
the heli-coil tap. The other problem may be installing the new heli-coil insert. Their is a
tab that has to be broken off after the insert is installed. Normally you would break it off
with a flat screw driver but in this case there is a piston below it. So I,m not sure about
that one. I would not want to drop that little piece of metal in the combustion chamber.
Perhaps a very skinny pair of long reach needle nose pliers would work. As for tapping the
head for the new insert you should put a little bit of grease on the tap before tapping.
Most of the shavings will stick to the grease when you back it out of the hole. Also tap the
hole in steps this will also help control shaving from reaching the piston. The same
principle is necassary for drilling the tap hole.

I Hope this isn't to confusing.

Dennis