[DML] Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cliff Wallace" <thereddog@xxxx> wrote:

> I'm having a hard time finding a set of front tires for
> my  Delorean.  Looking for Goodyear Eagle ST (P195/60/14).  These have
> been discontinued for about 10 years.
> I've also called local Goodyear centers in here in Oklahoma even for a
> decent used set, but nothing. Tire Rack and all of those other online
> stores don't have it either.

I believe tire retailers rotate stock after about 90 days. If it does
not sell off the shelf in that time, it's returned to the
manufacturers, wholesalers, whoever. No retailer is going to have
tires that were discontinued a decade ago still available in their
inventory. Not by a long shot.

> I still have the original NCT's on the front.
> They have plenty of tread, but are warped.

If you drive the car, why are you still riding on them? Unless you
trailer the car, take them off. You're playing with fire.

> I think the only way I'll find a set is
> in someone's garage or a place that bought them from Goodyear when
> they consolidated them.
> I'd like to get a matching set for all four since my rear tires are
> the Eagle ST's.  They only have about 3-4K miles on them.  I can still
> see the colored marks on the tread.
> I like them not only because they are raised white letter tires, but
> it's the same brand used on the Delorean in Back to the Future.

That's cute, and neat for shows, but very bad for driving. Again, if
you trailer the car to and from shows, okay. Then look for the tires
you seek on eBay. Just don't drive on them. This is serious.

If you drive the car, put a new set of tires on it A.S.A.P. The BF
Goodrich Radial T/As or the Dunlop GT Qualifiers (made by Goodyear)
are very good tires. If you drive the car, but still want the old
Goodyears for show, you're going to have to get another set of wheels
just for the Goodyears, and you're going to have to swap them out at
shows. Expensive, impractical and a hassle, but SAFE. If you think
that through you're going to realize it's far from worth the cost and
effort. If you're at a DeLorean show with DeLorean owners, then maybe
you will see some amount of appreciation for the Goodyears, but if
it's any other car show, trust me, NOBODY is going to notice or care
at all.

> I've called Coker and Goodyear, but neither can help with it. Coker
> doesn't have the license from Goodyear to remanufacture them. It just
> figures, you can get tires for a car built in 1910, but not 1981.

You're correct, Coker does not reproduce vintage Goodyear tires.
Universal Vintage Tire does. http://www.universaltire.com/ That's who
Coker told me to call, so I did. Turns out they only reproduce the old
bias ply Goodyears. They told me they have never reproduced any steel
belted radial Goodyears. I asked them if they had any plans to, and
they told me not at this point in time, and whether that ever happens
is up to Goodyear.

-------------------------

With matching sets of performance tires quickly becoming less and less
available to fit our cars, and the fact we are hitting the 25 year
"vintage", "classic" or whatever you want to call it milestone,
perhaps it's time for the DeLorean community to come together an make
a concerted effort to inspire Goodyear to allow Universal to reproduce
the original NCTs for our cars by showing them there is a market and
interest. We were not the only '80s cars that came with NCTs from the
factory. I know some Ferraris did as well, and there must be others.
If I could get new reproduction NCTs, I'd buy a set for sure. I feel
that's something we should all start thinking about.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D