Re: [DML] Pulling my manual transmission to replace main seal

Re: [DML] Pulling my manual transmission to replace main seal

This would be a good time to invest in a service manual.  It has a procedure
for removing the grearbox.  It is very handy for keeping track of all of the
stuff you need to disconnect/reconnect when servicing the gearbox.

The gearbox will not "just drop out".  You need to move it away from the
engine far enough to disengage the input shaft from the crankshaft and
clutch before it can be lowered.  It needs to move straight back (er, forward).

There is no need to remove the gear oil before you start.

The pilot bearing is outside of the gearbox.  It is inserted into
the end of the crankshaft and receives the free end of the input
shaft when the gearbox is reinstalled.  They are cheap and easy
to replace.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from "seanhagan" <seanhagan@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------