[DML] Re: Question for owners with issues.

[DML] Re: Question for owners with issues.

No problem. All we need to do here is a little bit of proper
troubleshooting, and I'm sure that your issue is easily resolvable.
In the process however, forgive me if this post starts to sound a bit
juvenile. It's not my intention. I just want to explain things of how
I would troubleshoot your issue, in as simple of terms as possible...

Let's start with what we know to be true about the situation, and
work our way backwards from there to diagnose what the problem really
is that's causing the issue.

The issue here is that your car will not pass an emissions test.
Specificly, the NOx levels are too high, but the CO dilution, and HC
levels are acceptable.

>From this alone, we know that the Catalytic Convertor on the car is
working properly. Otherwise, you would have failed the O2 & HC
dilution levels portion of the test.

We know that an engine tuned to factory spec will pass emissions
properly. But we have to figure out what variables may come into play
that would negate those factory settings. We have two options here.
Option 1: Start from scratch, replace EVERY component, and *hope*
that we happen to fix the issue in the process. The Cons of course
are that we may not resolve the issue, it's wasteful because we're
replacing good parts, and it's expensive.
Option 2: Work backwards to diagnose the issue, pinpoint the culprit,
and resolve it from there. The Cons are that it's just time
consuming. But it will save you allot of money in the long run, as
well as many headaches of trying to figure out what the issue is,
when a "blanket repair" fails.

Now I'm not from Missouri, but I do like to to see things for myself.
However, we'll go ahead and say that DMC-GG did infact properly set
the CO mixture, and engine timing properly. After all, we don't have
any reason to doubt them.

Still, the engine doesn't pass. You have performed a tune-up, and
even replaced the Catalytic Covertor. Still you don't pass.

Now let's take a step back to square one where we started out at.
Your NOx emissions levels are too high, even after the work performed
thus far. So, let's take a look here real quick like:

http://capita.wustl.edu/CAPITA/CapitaReports/EmisTrends/soxnemc.html

Now we know that high combustion temperatures are what cause NOx
emissions. So what causes a high combustion temps?

The first item is if the engine is running too lean. Now we know that
a CO adjustment was already performed, so the Air/Fuel ratio has
already been adjusted properly. But a vacuum leak could also throw
that mixture off, by introducing unmetered air into the system and
causing a lean-burn condition (higher combusion temps). So now, we've
got to check for a vacuum leak. To do so, grab a can of starter
fluid. Pull a hose off of the Cold Start Tube, and spray some in. If
the engine idle starts to rev up, then we know that there is a vacuum
leak somewhere. If not, reconnet the hose, and spray around it, to
make sure that it's not the culprit.

Now, if a vacuum leak is discovered, repair it, ensure it's gone, and
start all over again with readjusting the CO mixture, and test again.

If no vacuum leak is detected, then we have to continue on...

One band-aid option is to simply retard the ignition. But we don't
really want to do that. It's not a factory specification, so the
engine will not run optimally. Also, it may lead to improper
combustion, and could adversely affect the other emissions readings.

So what do we do. Well, we know that the engine is running to spec,
and is in tip-top shape. Perfomance is good, I imagine that your fuel
economy is also good too. However, we've still got high NOx levels in
the exhaust. We know that it's caused by high combustion chamber
temperatures...

Carbon build up. Carbon build up is bad, as you know. Carbon is an
engine deposit that attaches itself inside of the valves, and the
combustion chamber. It's bad because it heats up, and will stay hot.
If there is too much carbon present, it will ignite the fuel, and
will cause it pre-detonate, before the sparkplug can ignite it at the
correct time. Carbon also doesn't disappate heat as quickly as the
iron and aluminum pistons of the engine, so it stays hotter...

Your car has a history of an owner fueling up with too high of an
octance gasoline. If the octane is too high, it can't fully burn, and
thus carbon deposits are left behind over time.

It may be entirely possible that you have significant carbon build up
inside the engine. Not so much that you're getting a pre-detonation
knock, but enough that the combustion chambers cannot disappate heat
fast enough, and are in turn keeping those temperatures higher inside
the engine.

To help get rid of carbon build up, Techron is a great fuel
detergent. A good dosage, along with some prolonged use of Chevron
gas will help to give the engine a good cleaning out.

So what other alternative do you have to reduce combustion chamber
temperatures? Simple! Click on this link, and scroll to the bottom:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system2.htm

By using colder spark plugs, there is a good chance that you'll be
able to reduce the combustion temperatures, and reduce the NOx levels
as well. I know that switching to 2 levels colder of a plug, I was
able to get rid of a mild knock that my engine had.

Now I hope this helps you out a bit. Like I said before, I wasn't
writing this with a condecending tone. I just wanted to explain as
simply as I could what troubleshooting steps I use, and how I would
have adapted them to your issue.

Quick and dirty answer: Get some colder spark plugs, and a big bottle
of techron. Drive around at least 1 tank, and test the car again.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12@xxxx>