[DML] Re: Transmission problems - an update

[DML] Re: Transmission problems - an update

The broken roll pin and the bent shifter fork are from not fully
disengaging the clutch and forcing shifts. Probably from having the
plastic clutch line and/or just banging the poor box into gears. The
shifter fork can be straightened and the roll pin is easily changed
once you get the box out and apart. If you shift it "like a normal
person" and put the braided steel clutch line in you should not have
any problems with the manual transmission. For added peace of mind
many owners use synthetic gear oil. The claim is easier and smoother
shifting, especially in cold weather. I also recomend a magnetic drain
plug and check the oil level at least once a year. If the clutch
should fail to work and you attempt to drive the car by "power
shifting" ie, shifting without a clutch, you risk at least breaking
the roll pin on the shifter fork and possably other more expensive
damage. If you flush and change the brake fluid in the clutch master
and slave every 2 years you should not have that problem. The other
common failure point on a 5-speed is the pivot bolt on the shift
linkage. Again, probably from forcing things. It can fail without
warning so the only insurance is to keep a spare in the glove box.
That way you can get it repaired anywhere you can get it up on a lift.
The manual transmission on a Delorean has some unusual things ie, you
cannot change some of the bearings and some of the clearances are NOT
adjustable. Other than that it is pretty simple inside. I do not like
Hylomar! I did several boxes with the stuff and they all weeped. I use
Permatex Silicone Gasket Maker (silicone safe) and I have no problems.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757