[DML] Re: License plate option ...
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[DML] Re: License plate option ...

If you actually had a set of real plates off of a junked car or 
something, they may not let you do it. You may not be the owner of 
the plates, or there could be other reasons. My first license plates 
I got for the first car I ever owned, I've always kept, and have 
shuffled around on various vehicles (including my D which had them 
the longest). However, after I got personalized plates for the D, I 
left them off for almost 2 years before I had another vehicle to 
switch them over to. When I brought them in, the DMV/PS was VERY 
reluctant to reinstate them. They were listed in their system as 
being surrendered and destroyed by the state. Yet I had them both 
right in my hand. It took lots of complaining, and two supervisors to 
get them reinstated (one to convince, another with user permissions 
to "create" a new set of plates), along with a privlege penalty to 
reuse an old plate, when I rejected a new one. And of course, you 
MUST have 2 plates in states that issue them for front bumper 

Even if you have the ability to reinstate an old plate, there are 
still a few hurdles you've got to get past. The plates MUST be in 
good condition. No paint/ink fading, peeling, scratches, creases, 
perforations, rust, or alterations and/or damage is allowed. You also 
have to be concered with specific laws regarding old plate designs. 
Some states have since recalled old designs. So you can't come in 
with some obscure, pre-WW2 plates, or even some that are only a few 
years old, but have been recalled.

Now if a plate # sequence isn't in use, you can claim it. However, 
you can't have them "issue" it to you. In other words, it's going to 
be a personalized plate. So you're going to have to pay any 
personalized fees that the state requires, AND it may not look the 
same. Aside from a period-correct plate style no longer being in 
production, there are sometimes other markings that may not appear. 
Such as embossed dots or other characters dividing the nubmers & 
letters, as well as watermarks, and "Personalized" stamps depending 
upon your locale.

While my experience is based upon Nevada, and the usual YMMV warning 
applies, this may not work in states such as California where issued 
plates are assigned to cars, rather than owners. Ie you sell a car, 
you just transfer the plates to another vehicle, or cash-in the 
registration. Whereas in California, a vehicle is assigned a plate 
that it keeps for it's life. In that case, this would most likely not 
be possible at all.

Remeber, I only got my old plate back into use, because someone said 
yes. It was totally at that person's descrecion. If they would have 
said "No", the outcome would have been totally different for me.

vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nick Kemp" <nkemp@xxxx> wrote:
> While talking with a police friend, I learned an option for plates 
for any
> car.  At least this supposedly works in MN.
> If you can find a plate from the year your car was built and the 
number is
> not currently in use, you can use that old plate as the plate for 
your car.
> So I need to find a 81 MN plate.  Preferably DMC 897 :-)
> Nick

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN

Copyright 2006 ProjectVixen.com.  All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive