[DML] Re: Turbos and automatics (no relation)

[DML] Re: Turbos and automatics (no relation)

I have an automatic and a 5-speed. The 5-speed definately has more
acceleration. The automatic can go as fast as the 5-speed, it just
takes a little longer to do it. The 5-speed has much better mileage if
you can stay in 5th gear meaning hiway cruising. In traffic the
automatic is much more pleasant to drive and I would suspect it would
get better mileage. The 5-speed has 5 gears to divide the power up
into as opposed to the automatic with 3. The automatic also has some
slippage in the torque convertor, the 5-speed has a direct gear (5th).
It comes down to driving style and the type of traffic you drive in.
IMHO a sports car is supposed to have a manual transmission but my
wife will not learn "stick". Whenever I caravann with the club I never
have trouble keeping up with my automatic but I do seem to need fuel a
little sooner than the manuals on long trips. Lucky some of the
members need constant pit stops (and not for the cars!).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757