[DML] Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction

[DML] Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction

James is correct. The VIN plate on the car has indeed been Photoshopped.

The check diget of "6" in the photo, is actually the "9" from the end
of the VIN number. The cut out the "9", rotated it 180 degrees, and
planted it in place of the "0" that they erased.

Several things give it away. The first is that the loop on the "9"
character is a perfect circle, whearas the loop on the "6" is actually
oblong. The "6" is almost written like a "G".

The second being that that because of the oblong vs. circle variance
in the font, the "9" is not as wide as the "6". With the two "6"'s
being so close together, the difference is VERY obvious.

Finally, the shading is totally off. When the # was rotated 180, the
center section of the circle was then cropped, and rotated back into
place, to match up the shadows. The reason you can tell this is
because the center "hole" in the loop is not off-center. The embossed
section of the loop is now thinner on the right side.

You can also see where the shadow of the "0" was erased to the left of
the "6" too. There might also be a bit of poor shading inside the arch
of the character, but I couldn't say for certain on that.

The name and address of the person selling the vehicle matches up in
the public phone directory. However, the phone # shows different. That
one is 406-375-9245. I'd seriously consider calling this person, and
asking them to read off the VIN # verbatim to you.

I don't know why anyone would alter the VIN # on this car, but it does
also seem quite suspicious that they would not have entered it into
the auction information, for the quick-link car history check. Perhaps
there may be a lien on the vehicle?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-DeLorean-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ4596360800

> http://tinyurl.com/dnzh6
>
> Interesting auction for what's shown as a 1982 DeLorean.
>
> The VIN, according to the photo and description, ends with CD000590 -
> 1982 model VIN's are CDXXXXXX numbers, but we know that 82 VIN's
started
> with 010000 - so an 82 VIN of 000590 is incorrect.
<SNIP>