[DML] Re: Turbos, transmissions etc

I could be wrong, I am going on memory. I do remember John Conway
commenting that the transmssion was also a limiting problem. Anyway if
you look at the input shaft you see that the roll pin seems way too
big for the shaft size. The main point here is that if you do start to
increase the power output of the motor you MUST take into
consideration other points of failure. People have damaged the
transmissions on cars that are naturally aspirated too so it is not
very far-fetched to assume that the input shaft will need to be
improved. It IS a lot of work and expense to put a turbo in and you
MUST limit the boost (and therefore the horesepower) so you do not
really have a cost effective solution for increasing the power. Doing
all the simple routine stuff is still the best way to improve
performance. A tune-up can seem like a BIG improvement if it is way
overdue and you really have to do it anyway to take full advantage of
a turbo. Just changing a dirty air filter can make a world of
difference! BTW among the improvements I have done to my installation,
besides the fuel enrichment, is to add a flexible metal duct from the
air cleaner to the air intake in the rear pontoon. This gets cooler,
fresh air into the motor. I also wrapped the downpipes with insulation
and the mufflers with high-temp barriers. The hotter you can keep the
exhaust system the more effcient. It also helps quiet it down a
little. The turbos make the exhaust noisey. I also installed a pod on
the "A" pillar with a boost gauge and an A/F meter. Anyway it is not
about raw horespower, it is the feeling you get when you have more
power! The Delorean starts to perform more the way it was intended.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757