Re: [DML] "Cooling Fan Failure" Light

Glenn,

Do you have an aftermarket fan fail module, like John Hervey's?  If so then
the fan fail light operation is normal.  His is designed to do this to make
you aware that the cooling fans are running.  If you have the stock setup,
or a FanZilla, then the light indicates that a fan has failed for some
reason.  The best thing to do is just get under the car when the fans should
be running and make sure they're both turning and blowing towards the back
of the car.

Since you have vin 5391, you should have the later model Motorola
alternator, which should be adequate (when it was new).  But after a quarter
century, corrosion, and weakened wires it is probably not functioning to
what it used to.  I would first start by testing the output voltage of the
alternator using a digital meter, preferably after it has warmed up a bit.
Do this by placing the positive lead of the DMM to the positive lead on the
alternator (one with all the big red wires) and the negative test lead to a
good ground.  You should read around 13-14 volts.  I replaced my Ducieller
alternator with one of John Hervey's 110 Amp models, so far it has been
great.  I would recommend it even if you determine your current one is still
functioning OK, don't get another stock one.  It is also a strong
possibility that your battery is low.  Test the voltage at the battery with
the car off, should be ~12 Volts.  You should also go over all of the major
grounding points to clean them up, the more corroded they are the higher the
resistance will be and the less effective your charging system will become.
Positive connections should be cleaned as well.

Good Luck,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732