Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:08:56 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Oil Leak

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "birdwell77095" <birdwells@xxxx>
wrote:

> With the recent discussion on oil leaks I wanted to get
information on
> a small leak I have. There is a large bolt on the driver's side
that
> faces the left of the car (if you're standing behind the car) that
has
> a wire coming from it. It's below the A/C compressor above the oil
pan
> close to the catalytic converter. Oil appears to be leaking from
that.
> I couldn't find this item in the parts manual. What is this item?
it
> can't be the oil pressure device is it?
>
> Shannon
> VIN 16113

I am having the same leak, though mine is probably worse than your at
the moment. Here's a pic of what I imagine you're looking at, from
the driver's side looking straight up near the back of the car, a few
inches above the oil pan:

http://www.johnspangler.com/DMC/oillight1.jpg

That's the oil pressure sensor, all right. I enjoy the irony of the
part that's supposed to let you know of a low pressure situation
being
the source of a leak. I got a new one which I'm looking forward to
putting in while doing my first oil change, it was less than $20 with
a new seal too.
part #'s
102462 SENSOR,OIL PRESSURE
102461 SEALING WASHER

I'm hoping it's as easy as it looks to replace.

-John