[DML] Used Parts (was: What goes in a remanufactured car?)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Qumefox <qumefox@xxxx> wrote:

> Well. James said in his email that they keep only 20-25 parts from the
> original donor car. The stainless panels, frame, underbody, and all the
> glass (about all i'd expect to be used from the original car, at least
> as long as they aren't damaged) eat up the good majority of that part
> count..

(SNIP)

In most cases, all the glass is replaced. Our most recent car, built
for Christian and Melanie Jarzab, even had the option of a heated or
non-heated rear window! The left front fender is certainly retained,
but everything else is fair game for replacement. Many times it is
more cost-effective to replace rather than repair.

> Basicly what i'm wanting to know is if DMCH does actually keep the used
> parts on hand. As I know more than a few D owners, myself included, are
> on a limited maintaince budget, and in some situations,  a good used
> part would much better fit our budget than a new one, and be just as
> adequate at fixing whatever problem we may need the part for as well,
> especially for things that cosmeticly don't matter, or weren't very
> pretty to begin with.

(SNIP)

We do keep the majority of the used parts, Stephen is loath to throw
away anything. Consumables are properly disposed of, but hard parts
are all kept. We have discussed that there may be a market for these -
I know that Haldeman and Koncelik sell a number of used parts - but we
have resisted to date because of liability and quality concerns. We
also are not sure if it is worth the expense in manpower to clean and
inspect these parts for suitability. Also, will the sales of used
parts offset the sales of new parts to the point that it isn't
worthwhile to do so?

I expect in light of this discussion to date, and the responses from
this point forward, will cause us to re-evaluate this scenario for 2006.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com