Re: [DML] Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel@xxxx> wrote:

> This place is obviously a used car dealership getting many cars in each
> month and there are tons of rumors that are about the history of
these cars,
> but lets face it, do you really expect everyone selling a car to know
> everything about such car?

No, of course not. I have a problem with the guy pretending he does,
and spewing out inaccurate info as a sales tactic to influence naive
potential buyers. If you don't know every "nerdy" detail about a
Marque, that's fine and fair, but don't substitute that ignorance with
BS. What would have been wrong with simply stating the facts, and
letting them speak for themselves? If you have a good product to sell,
you should not need to resort to misrepresentation and fallacies to
generate interest.

> If you got a good deal on a trade in for your dealership, would you
spend
> hours reading up on each and every car, or would you take a lot of
shots of
> the car and ask a fair market value for it?  I for one would sell
the car,
> providing as much detail as was necessary.

The guy is a dealer of used exotic cars, not a guy managing the used
car area of a Honda dealer, so he should already have a clue about
DeLoreans, and what he doesn't know he should know how to reference
considering he's been in the business for 55 years. You would provide
as much detail as necessary? Great! This guy is providing
misinformation. Misinformation that claims my DeLorean is not a "real"
DeLorean, and I take great personal offense to that. You take a pot
shot at my car, even if indirectly, and I'm going to say something
about it. Don't falsely question the legitimacy of my pride & joy, all
so you can turn a quick buck.

Next thing you know, I'll have some dope with an incorrect hood coming
up to me at a car show, telling me and everyone else he has a "real"
DeLorean, and I don't. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, BUT we
as owners face enough misconceptions and misinformation every time we
take the cars out of the garage. Why not be upset about some guy
adding one more to that list, and he simply did it for profit!!

> I mean come on, the tire is low?  There is a mis-spelling on the page?
> These are things to be concerned about?

Yes, actually they are. When offering a rare high dollar item like
this for sale, common sense dictates you present it in the best
possible way to hopefully get the highest amount possible. Leaving
something as simple as a low tire attracts negative attention to a
place that should have otherwise not, making you wonder what else
might be wrong. Leaving tires low tire when shooting your all
important listing pics, and misspellings of that nature in you listing
to me demonstrates laziness and ignorance. Subtleties like this scream
"we don't pay attention to detail". To me, they raise caution flags
and make me loose confidence. It could have also scared off the person
who would have otherwise been willing to pay a few thousand more than
the winner, but because the listing made them nervous, they dismissed
this car and looked elsewhere.

> Ok, yes the lack of frame pics is
> suspect, but really if you were selling an old Ford would you crawl
under it
> and take a lot of shots?

This is not an "old Ford". I know what you're trying to say, but let's
look at it this way. Let's say it was an old ford, like a '55 T-bird,
a Shelby Mustang or even a GT40. Then yes, I'd expect a lot of
detailed undercarriage pics upfront without having to ask.

> I wouldn't even know what markings my car does/should have for
updates, and I
> own 2, one for 8 years now!!!

Okay... No comment.

> This auction might indeed be a bad deal or a great one, but if the
DeLorean
> Police bash every one that comes along, none will be sold as potential
> buyers will stray away.

Ya know, one of the great things about living in the 21st century is
the ability for people in the know to all easily gather in one place,
while not having to physically be in the same place and pass along
their wisdom, experiences, opinions, knowledge, etc. It's all here for
everyone else to take or leave. You may not always like it, but at
least it's here, and it's better than it not being here. If people
like "Mr. Slippery Used Exotic Car Salesman" feel the need to put
forth misinformation with the intention to manipulating a sale, then
thank God people like the "DeLorean Police" are also right near by to
set the record straight.

> lets all try to keep eBay auctions in perspective.

Perhaps we can, because we've been around long enough to know eBay
sellers can and will often say anything. There are those, believe it
or not, who don't know any better, so again, here we are in a place
like this to cry foul.

Dan W.
VIN 16192