Re: [DML] Best comment on the Delorean Yet

Re: [DML] Best comment on the Delorean Yet

It's at least a lot of fun to talk about.  People go to the Antiques
Roadshow to get values on things that they would never sell.  And so
it is with our cars.  IMHO, though I wouldn't want to see D's become
so rare and valued that they would return to snob status, I also
feel that the reason why they don't currently command much more has
nothing to do with what else is out there.  Consider this quote
about Harley Davidson:

"A top of the line Harley costs many thousands more than a
comparable import motorcycle, is less dependable, doesn't enjoy the
quality or workmanship, and won't even perform as well.   It isn't
even close.  So, why do so many people flock to HD dealerships and
wait in line for months for a Harley? Because they are sheep.  Why
does a Harley hold its resale value so well when all the cards are
stacked against it?  Because of one thing; image." (goingfaster.com)

Though he's clearly a Harley-hater (and I'm not,) he's right that
Harley resale seems aberrant of any supply/demand law.

If anyone wanted Deloreans to rise in price, if that was their goal,
the only way to do that is to boost the image of the car.  It's hard
to read anything about our cars that doesn't contain a number of
criticisms.

--S