Re: [DML] I joined the engine pulling club

Re: [DML] I joined the engine pulling club

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx>
wrote:

> Out of curiosity, does the engine come out the top or the bottom? With
the
> transmission still attached it had to have come out the bottom, but if that
> were removed beforehand, can the engine be pulled out the top?
>
> What did you use to lift the back of the car high enough to get the engine
> out from underneath it?

After having pulled the engine and trans in my own D.  I can answer this
with confidence. The engine and trans comes out the top. There is no way
to get it out the bottom.  Some helpful hints about making this process a bit
smoother are:

1) Remove the rear fascia and the panel behind it. That opens up the
whole back of the car and gives you lots of room to get the engine out.
Getting the fascia off actually isn't that much of a chore. I recommend
pulling it to do any in depth engine work. (Here's a pic of mine without the
rear fascia. 2nd picture down http://badger.brazi.net/index.pl/week_2 )

2) Unbolt the motor mounts from the frame instead of seperating the two
halfs of it.. This might be a pain to do. I don't remember, as it's been
awhile since I pulled mine, but if you can manage it it'll keep you from
having to lift the engine as high. I think it also makes putting it back in a bit
easier as well.

3) Pull the engine and trans as one piece then seperate them after they're
out, if you need to. Some of the flywheel covers are a real pain to get to
while the engine's in, and even after you get all the covers off so the
engine and trans will seperate you'll be playing with it for hours trying to
get it apart reguardless. (I know.. I seperated them and pulled the engine
by itself.. it was a royal pain and in the end I was wishing i'd just listened
to what others told me and pulled the thing as one piece.)

Chris
VIN# 3209