[DML] I joined the engine pulling club

Hey Group,

This weekend was a complete success for VIN 11596.  The operation? The  goal
of removing the engine and transmission, separating the transmission, and
mounting the engine on an engine stand beginning at 11:30 AM Saturday and
finishing no later then 10am Sunday.  And yes, we got 8 hours of sleep in  too!

My next project is to remove the exhaust manifolds and replace the studs  and
gaskets.  After that I plan on replacing the front main crank seal and  bead
blasting and painting the timing cover.  Then I will remove the oil  pan and
replace the gasket and inspect the pump, screen, and other lower  crankcase
parts.  Next I will clean the engine and spray paint it and  reinstall the
manifolds which will be high-temp coated unless I decide to  totally replace the
exhaust system.  Finally I will replace the heater  valve and do some tidying up
on the back of the engine.

As for the transmission, I only need to replace the axle seals and clean  and
paint the transmission and powdercoat the tranny mounts.

Many thanks go out to Jim Reeve who came 250 miles to help me (it was a
learning experience for him too!).  Jim handled much of the logistics of  the
project while I was the muscles and tool expert.  Also many thanks to  Dave
Swingle, who provided us some late night technical support which was right  on the
money and got us through a couple of snags we had little experience  in.

Later today or tomorrow I plan on doing a step-by-step write up of the  whole
ordeal while it is still fresh in my memory and I will post to the  DML.
Hopefully others can learn that it's not really that tough to pull  the engine
out as long as you have good tools and some instructions!!

This week also marks my 5th year of DeLorean ownership.  How do I know  that
I am becoming a DeLorean expert?  This was the biggest project I have  ever
undertaken - and I didn't have to go buy more tools to complete  it!!!!!!!

Andy Lien
Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596