[DML] Re: Transmission Leak

Do not put additives in your transmission. They swell the seals to
make them stop leaking but the effect is temporary. Soon they will
leak worse than before. Seals leak for a reason. Usually because they
are worn. The thing to do is to find where the leak is and fix it.
Start with the dipstick. Pull it out and inspect the fluid. If it is
not nice and red and smells good ie, not burnt, then you can usually
get by with just fixing the leak. If the fluid feels gritty and smells
burnt then you have to flush it out and replace with fresh or you will
just keep eating up seals. There are several places the trans could
leak. Clean the exterior and watch for the leak. If it is the shift
cable there is a way to stop it. If it is the pan gasket you just have
to replace it. If the trans is overfilled it will leak all over. Don't
forget to check the final drive. It has a separate resovoir. If the
trans was overheated you might have to replace all of the exterior "O"
rings. You could also have a leaky hose. Never drive on a low fluid
level. The fluid will foam causing the trans to slip and if it slips
it will burn up. It can happen very quickly. I am always amazed that
people think they can buy "Mechanic In A Can"!!!!!! In most cases
additives do nothing except empty your wallet. That goes for the gas
additives, the oil additives, the stop leak additives, the battery
additives, injector cleaners, etc. There are some that do work. For
instance Marvel Mystery Oil for engine break ins, Barrs Stop Leak for
radiators. Techron injector cleaner, Dry Gas for moisture in the fuel
and the Red Line products.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757