[DML] Re: Towing the DMC

Videobob,
(or if you attempt and try to do it Videoboob... ; )

Don't do it! Unless you want to rebuild your auto tranny! There are a
few choices,(1) remove both drive axles (2)use a special pump that
you hookup to you auto to keep the tranny fluid in circulation(that
is what the RV'ers use)(3) rent a aluminum car trailer,and put it
onto that.(4) there are Special hubs that can be put on the car that
ONLY make the tires spin,and NOT the drivetrain. BUT I do not think
it is made for Deloreans.What happens when you tow a automatic
equipped car(in this case the Delorean)is that you are spinning the
internals of the automatic tranny,but NOTHING is getting
lubricated,you can do it if you are only moving it a few hundred feet
(ie:pushing by hand)but at high speed,it is no different than running
a motor with no oil pressure.The pump for the auto tranny is located
at the front of the tranny and is only working with the motor
running,which is hooked up to the flywheel,thru the torque
converter,if the motor is not running,you get NO hydraulic pressure
buildup,which in turn lubricates and runs your auto tranny under
Hydraulic pressure,no pressure,equals no lubrication,which means you
will quickly burnout you automatic tranny...PERIOD.In the 1950's and
early 60's they had cars with dual pumps in the automatics(one in
front and one in back)those cars you COULD actually push start them!
Or even shut the motor off in netural and coast along and start them
up like a standard tranny(popping the clutch thing)(I had a 62
Mercury Comet that I used to do that all the time with)BUT in the mid
60's all car makers switched to the one pump system(front pump only)
on the automatic trannies(for cost savings purposes).So again NEVER
tow a Automatic tranny car on the wheels that are hooked up to the
automatic tranny.

cbl

 --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxx>