[DML] Re: oil leak in valley-o-death (was first week of ownership blues

[DML] Re: oil leak in valley-o-death (was first week of ownership blues (crankshaft seal))

Sorry to hear about your oil leak problem.

  From what you describe and the amount of oil you have pouring out of
the valley area, you may have a hole into the pressurized oil passage
to the head.  I might be wrong, and someone with more knowledge of the
PRV engine might have more insight...
Here's what I gather:
  1. You have a hole in the block from the exterior into an oil area.
That might be only return oil pooling up and spilling out, but from the
amount of oil and the rapid failure once the leak started, I would
guess that you've struck an oil feed channel.
  2. Since you may need to replace the whole block anyway, you might as
well try anything to reair the hole.  However, if the hole is indeed
into the oil feed passage for the cylinder head you risk damaging the
cam and valve train, also possibly damaging the head if oil flow is
lost to that area.  Then you go from needing a block to needing a block
and a head, and a cam, and followers, etc...
  3. Since you may have hit an oil feed channel, the oil leak you are
attempting to fix is going to be under pressure.  Possibly 80psi or
higher.  Anything that you fix it with will need to be solid and
secure.  The first warning of a failure of the repair might be the oil
pressure dropping!  Of course all the drivers behind you would have
known about your leak for quite some time :P  James Bond anyone?
  I may be off base on all this since I don't know exactly where the
leak is, someone more experienced may have better insight.

Matt