Re: [DML] Re: Torsion bar adjustment

On 10/12/05, Toby Peterson <tobyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Byron - You may not have noticed the intent of this thread, but Ryan
> is actually installing new struts, and is assuming that the PO
> (previous owner) had adjusted the torsion bars in the past, rather
> than installing new struts.  So, with his new struts, he finds that
> the doors have too much energy.

Exactly.

The old struts were obviously weak and it's almost certain the torsion
bars were tightened to compensate before I bought the car. My new
struts cause the doors to fly open like a rocket, and that's not the
struts' fault. Quite frankly I can't imagine why anyone would crank up
the torsion bars to save a measly hundred bucks on struts. Anyway,
after I reset mine I should never have to touch them again - just
replace the struts when the doors start to sag.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have the tools and info I need to
get this done, and my helper is coming over this evening. With any
luck I won't be back here begging for a new rear windshield and/or
torsion bar later tonight.

-Ryan