[DML] Re: oil leak in valley-o-death (was first week of ownership blues

[DML] Re: oil leak in valley-o-death (was first week of ownership blues (crankshaft seal))

I figured as much, I was hoping it could be anything other than a
defect in the block.

I took the intake off this morning (early).  Three of the four bolts
that secure the manifold were easy to remove, the fourth was
completely seized.  I had let it sit in penetrating oil for 24hours,
to no avail it broke anyway.  About a half inch of the bolt is still
exposed.  Oh well, one more thing.

It was a gory sight under the manifold.  I vacumed as much as I could
and was taking near handfuls of sludge out of the recesses.  In one
the deaper recesses near the front (flywheel side) there is a
1/16inch diameter hole in the bottom on the side.  I'm trying to be
careful not to get any of this sludge in the hole, its very coarse,
oil and sand mixture.  This car has been slowly leaking for some
time, it may be that the whole enlarged itself recently.

I'll take good pictures once I clean things up.  I'm still open to
suggestions concerning a repair. I realize that the engine (or at
least block) will have to be replaced in the not-so-distant future,
however I'd like to make a few payments on the thing before I put
that kind of money into it.  I belive there is got to be a way to
patch it.

One idea of mine was to drill out the channel so it is round and
tap/cap it with a short bolt (putting paper in the bottom first to
catch shavings).  I'm not sure if there's enough material.

The other was since it has french roots, to put a small amount of
cork material and wedge it down there good, and follow up with two-
part epoxy mix on top of that.  That would keep epoxy from seaping
into the oil resevor via the unauthorized hole.

The third idea was to have a aluminum arc welder stick a rod down the
recess and seal the hole shut (no idea if thats pratical).  Its hard
to get the metal clean enough for one thing.

Or perhaps maybe a large bit of rubber seal, sized to just larger
than the recess and 'installed' with a rubber mallot and sealed would
do it.

Anyway, I know these are all patches.  Some of you would likely
suggest I just bite the bullet and replace at least the block.  I
couldn't afford to if I wanted to, so the car would have to sit for
many-a-month (maybe into the year scale) until I could.  This way I
can get the car on the road, and cautiously enjoy it while I fiqure
out/enact a better long term solution.

Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome, they are needed.
Thanks!

-Nate

Vin 11501

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <rob@xxxx> wrote:

> Nate,
>
> Unfortunately it sounds like Todd's diagnosis is probably correct.
If you
> can't find an external leak it's time to remove the intake manifold
and have
> a look.
>
> Rob Grady,
>
> P.J.Grady Inc.

problem in which one of those deep pockets in the valley of death was
eaten through into the crank case.