[DML] Re: Torsion bar adjustment

There was an excellant write-up on the torsion bar adjustment in an
old Delorean World. It will answer all of your questions if you can
get your hands on it. In the meantime, If you don't want to build the
thing the next best method is to remove the rear sunshade. You can use
an Allen wrench and a pipe, both easily obtained locally. I am not
sure but I think it is 3/8" for the allen wrench. The pipe should be
at least 3 feet long (4 feet is OK). You DO need to prop the doors
open. Just cut a 2x3 to the right length and wrap a rag on each end.
Do it from the sill to the bottom of the open door, NOT FROM THE
FLOOR! If the car was to move even slightly it could dislodge the prop
and the door would come down. You can leave the strut in place. Use a
pencil or marker to mark the spot the bracket is so you can see when
you move it. You probably need to loosen it 2 splines. Be careful not
to strip the bolts, break the plastic valence, bang or scratch the
torsion bars. Stay away from the rear window and be careful of the
sharp edges on the S/S Tee roof. Stick a 1x2" strip of rubber from an
old inner tube between the torsion bar and the rear hinge. Leave it
there when done. Do not try this alone, get a helper. You could have
some difficulty in sliding the anchors off and you will not do it with
only 1 hand. If the end of the torsion bar (where the allen wrench
goes in) has a crack and you can't get the anchor off do not try to
remove it without EXPERT help. The bar may have cracked and is very
difficult to remove under pressure as it is forcing itself larger in
the anchor bracket (rare but it does happen). Have all your tools
ready in advance so you don't kill your helper. Use towels or fender
covers over the rear facia and the S/S.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757