[DML] Re: vin 11501, first week of ownership blues (crankshaft seal)

[DML] Re: vin 11501, first week of ownership blues (crankshaft seal)

Hey Nate,

Sorry to hear your problems....it's a shame when an owner uses
a "band-aid" and sells it to you at X price saying everything is
perfect.

As for the problems you are fixing, I say hurry up and get it done.
Letting the car sit till next Spring, will pretty much only cause
more problems in the long run.  Who knows what might happen by then
(cold rat crawls into the body and chews out wiring etc) and by the
time it gets to spring, you may have lost the inspiration to get the
car running.

One spring turns into two and things start pissing you off.  The main
concern should be fixing the seal, cleaning the engine, replacing
some of the gaskets (valve, oil, exhaust) and putting the sucker back
together.  Run some clean oil through the system and drain and
replace with the good synthetic stuff that's been talked about many
times on the forum....point being to make sure you get all the little
bits of blue stuff out.  If your head gaskets are in good shape,
don't touch them as by the time they do, you'll have driven enough
and saved enough to get a stage 2 or 3 engine..who knows.  Do a once
through on all your wiring and replace a few bolts and nuts while
you're in there.  If you let the car sit, you may need new tires by
the Spring, the fuel will need replacing, the fuel pump might have
seized, and some of the fuel lines may have cracked or rusted up a
bit....there are a ton of things that happen when cars just sit.

You bought the car, get it driving so that when you write the check
you relate the experience to something positive.

I've spent 6 months rebuilding my D from the ground up (powder
coating frame etc) and though it looks nice, nothing will be nicer
than driving the car on the open road.  Believe me, it's way easier
to write a check out when you know you can drive what you're paying
for.  Tis why I have spent so much time getting this car torn apart
and rebuilt in only 6 months....hopefully it'll only be a couple more
months till I'm trying to fit my arm out the tollbooth window to act
as my AC.

Get'r Done!

Brandon
Vin 3323