Re: [DML] Engine swap Chevy 350 :)

When I was doing my engine swap, originally, I was going to go with a Chevy
L98 or LT1 motor.  However, having the auto tranny, I didn't have enough
room due to the huge size of the custom bellhousing.  I had to go with the
'94 Vortec 4.3 motor instead and to get the extra room, I had to put on a
short water pump and convert the motor over to a v-belt setup.  (I REALLY
wanted to keep the serpentene setup and I'm going to look to see if anyone
makes a kit for a short water pump setup)  Anywho, its a good thing I went
with the 4.3 because even a L98 would have torn that trans to bits (in stock
form, there may be some people here who have modified the tranny to handle
more who can chime in)

On the transmission side, I opted for a 915 5 speed transmission out of a
911 Porsche.  The stock DMC half shafts mounted DIRECTLY up to the tranny
with no modifications whatsoever.  Now, with the 915 tranny in there, I
could EASILY have moved everything forward (towards the front of the car)
and get a V8 in there.  However, if I ever decide to do this again
(hmmm.....Ken, Josh, or Rich...any of you guys gotta a spare car layin
around ;) ) I would go with a G50 6 speed unit (pricey at about
$2000-$2,500) and mount it to a LS1 or LS6 motor.  I have considered going
back and doing this as it wouldn't be that bad, however I'm actually
enjoying driving the car.

Knowing what I know now, that's the setup I'd run. G50 + LS1 or 6.  It would
be the cheapest way to get the most hp along with dependability.  I would
guess the price would be about $6 to $8K to do, but it'd be worth it.  If
you wanted to go mild like mine, the swap ran me around $4k for everything
and runs like a champ.....but now I want more power. Its an addiction.
Heck, I think even if I had the LS6 in there, eventually I'd want more. :)

Take care,

Duke