[DML] Re: Alternator Belt

If the belt has been tightened correctly it should be quiet. If the
belt is making noise then you need a new belt. That soap and
dressing is for used car guys to help in a fast sale. It is unlikely
you will get the correct tension doing it with the screwdriver as
tight as you can method.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85@xxxx> wrote:
> I replaced my alternator about a month and a half ago and at first
it
> had the same noise. a constant high-pitched whistling noise
followed
> by a squealing scream when I gave it some gas. I didnt have to
> replace the belt since the one I had there was already quite new
from
> the previous owner and looked to be in good condition. It took me
> little bit to think that the belt just isnt tight enough. So I got
> under the car and using a long screw-driver I placed it inbetween
the
> alternator and the alternater housing bracket and just gave it
some
> good muscle. I got it as tight as it would go and had my grandpa
> tighten the bolts so it locked it in place. After that the
whistling
> went away about...80% (only makes the sound during idle) id say
and
> the squealing when giving it some gas was completely gone. I did
come
> across a bottle of belt noise reducer in the garage and applied
that
> which greatly helped out. since than the noise is only a small
> whistle when at idle and my voltage is consistant (even on a going
> bad battery and a electrical guage that needs to be cleaned for
> greater accuracy)
>
> I also heard that getting rid of that belt noise can be done by
> getting a wet bar of soap and rubbing it on the the teeth of the
belt
> as the car runs. Not sure what to think of this method but its
what
> I've heard.
>
> Hope it helps!
> Josh Tidwell
> 04463
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > The belt should be toward the loose side but not so loose than
when
> > you try to turn the alternator pulley the belt will slip
allowing
> you
> > to turn the pulley. Much tighter than that and you will kill the
> > bearings in the water pump and the alternator. It sounds like
your
> > alternator could be out-of-alignmnet. Vee belts do not like
> > misalignment, everything MUST be in the same plane. Check with a
> > string or a straightedge. Also make sure the belt is correct. It
> > should not be riding on it's bottom, ONLY the sides of
the "vee". It