Re: [DML] Re: Washer Motor

On Sep 29, 2005, at 12:10 PM, David Teitelbaum wrote:

> The biggest problem you will face in fixing the washer pump will be
> getting all of those little hex head screws out without having the
> rivnuts spinning.

I recommend that before you even attempt to remove these screws for
the first time, you spray a lot of penetrating oil up there and wait
24 hours.  Those rivnuts can be a real pain.

> Expect the motor to be bad but you MUST check at the
> plug to verify power and ground. It could just be full of gunk. It is
> easily cleaned out with hot water and rinsing it several times.

A typical cause of failed, rusty motors is that the little drain
holes on the bottom of the enclosure get plugged up and the pump ends
up spending its life  under water.  I strongly suggest drilling a few
larger holes in the bottom of the enclosure.   Also, I have attempted
to disassemble, clean, and reuse grungy pumps.   It is easy to get
them to run, but they don't last.  Just buy a new one.

> Leak-test and operate it before putting ALL the screws back.

Hear, hear!

> If you do
> not get a good spray either the hose is pinched/kinked, or the tiny
> hole in the sprayer tip is plugged up.

Yes, do check the sprayer tip.  Once I took mine apart and cleaned
it, the spray was as good as any other car's.

   -Pete Lucas
    VIN #06703