[DML] Re: Water pump squeaking. How long have I got?

[DML] Re: Water pump squeaking. How long have I got?

I agree with David .. Its not just a 'replacing water pump job' its
all of those things listed in the 'oh and while im in there' category
Another job is all of the cleaning you end up doing in the 'Valley of
Death' it can get really grubby in there, especially in the 2 deep
wells in there, When everythings removed it can look kind of scary
but nothing that is beyond you.

Buy a decent small 1/4" drive set with knuckle joint for the manifold
bolts and soak them in penetrating fluid for a couple of days before,
give the heads of the same a sharp tap with a hammer before you try
and get these pesky blighters out :)

Write a list up of all the o rings and washers etc you want to
replace, if you need a list i have one of all the bits i got. Nothing
worse than starting a job and not having the bits ready.

Replace all of the pump, y pipe and intake manifold bolts with new
ones copper grease them on replacing them...and buy a 7mm x 1 thread
tapper to clean up the threads before.

Good idea to get hold of a 7mm helicoil / drill kit before you start.
I would say one  manifold bolt and one of the 'long' y pipe bolts
will give up on you based on my talking to others.

Its a good long weekend job, get a friend to help out if you can
makes the job more fun and with the bending over the facia count on
an ackey back :) Take lots of photos and lable things up as you go, i
used a Dymo and carefully tagged the bits ( Most of them are still
attached 6 months on ...handy references)

Check out Jordan site for references / pics, best online help i have
ever come across on there....

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.php

Regards

Mike

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:
> This is a real tough one to answer. It is like going to the doctor
and
> asking him "How long have I got Doc?". It can make a noise for a
long
> time before the bearing finally seizes up or it may just start
> leaking. It may leak very slowly for a long time or it may just
start
> gushing out. The safe thing to do is to park the car until you can
fix
> it. You are gambling with the life of the engine and it can get
> expensive if you
> were to overheat it. Not to mention the towing bill. The bottom
line,
> there is no "typical" time to failure. This is also why, when you
are
> replacing ALL the seals and hoses you just replace the water pump.
> After 20 + years you cannot expect it to last much longer and it is
> not a simple remove-and-replace like on most other cars. The other
> possability is one of the idler bearings for the A/C is failing. Run
> the motor without the A/C belt and see if the noise goes away. If it
> doesn't it "could" be the alternator, not the water pump. Plan for
and
> expect at least 1 bolt to break, either on the intake manifold or
the
> water distribution pipe. If it is your first time it is a long 1 day
> project. Take notes and pictures for routing and placement of hoses,
> wires, etc. Be especially careful with those pesky copper washers.
If
> you drop them you cannot get them with a magnet and you MUST be sure
> they are all in there when reassembling or you will have leaks. If
you
> are not very flexible it is easier if you remove the engine cover.
> While you are in there you should also replace the spark plugs,
> ignition wires, cap, and rotor, idler bearings and belts. For a
> complete job replace the injector seals, vacuum hoses, have the fuel
> injectors tested and cleaned, air filter, adjust the valves, replace
> the O2 sensor and reset the mixture. When done change the oil and
oil
> filter. As you can see this can turn into a large job best left for
> the winter if possible.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jason Ferrara <jason@xxxx> wrote:
> > I noticed a whirring noise (like a bearing is starting to fail)
> > coming from the engine. I removed the belts to check things, and
> > found that if I turn the water pump by hand it squeaks a bit.
I'm