[DML] Re: Cooling fans

Gus - Actually, the fans are mounted behind the radiator, and are
designed to pull air through the radiator.  Then, at highway speeds,
the fans should shut off, allowing the air that is moving through the
radiator by virtue of the car moving to cool the A/C refrigerant and
the coolant.  If the fans were pushing air forward, you would be
correct in saying that this configuration would be counter productive
at best.  Many times, people have been advised on this List to verify
that their fans are blowing the correct way (aft) when people report
overheating issues.  In regards to your last point, it does seem that
heat being taken out of the A/C refrigerant is then passed downstream
to the radiator, where it adds heat to the air moving through the
radiator.  The amount of heat is not excessive, so it really doesn't
have a large effect on the efficiency of the radiator in cooling the
coolant. (That sounded nearly redundant).  There are Brand X cars
with fans on the forward side of the radiator, which then push air
through from the front side.  This is necessary sometimes due to
clearance issues in tight engine spaces.  This configuration also
interferes with air flow at speed, so is a compromise in function.  I
hope this helps.

Mock you?  Never!

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gus Schlachter <gus@xxxx> wrote:
> I have a fairly stupid question.  Feel free to mock me if I am way
off base, but...

> Don't the cooling fans sit behind the radiator, and blow air
forward?