[DML] "D" may stand for Divorce....the ongoing 6859 saga

[DML] "D" may stand for Divorce....the ongoing 6859 saga

I haven't posted in a little while on #6859, mostly because I have
been traveling so much I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on
her.  When I do, it is usually at 3AM.  The neighbors think I operate
a Myth lab in the garage and my wife is losing her patience.  Don't
laugh.....I may be sleeping on YOUR couch.

Let me first start by thanking Mike Pack for coming out to my house a
few weeks ago and giving the car a once over with his dad while I was
1000 miles away for work!

Here's a synopsis of the problems and what I have found.  The good
thing is I think I've identified all of the problems and their root
cause. (Remember, this car is "Excellent...needs nothing....according
to the seller on ebay):

The car sounding like it was trailing "just married" cans behind it
during deceleration.  A check of the engine compartment showed the
idle mixture screw anti-tamper cover had been removed and replaced
with a plastic plug.  In law enforcement we call that "a clue".
Well, that puppy was WAY rich.  I dialed it back and have since fixed
that.

The racing idle, I suspect is being caused by the o2 sensor being
fouled by the constant rich mixture.  I will be replacing that
shortly.  I don't think it is a vacuum leak since I also replaced all
of the vacuum lines anyway.

The rubbing of the rear tires = I think a result of running tire
pressure WAY low.

The noise from the right rear during hard cornering = a result of the
car being lowered with Eabach springs.  The clamp for the CV boot is
hitting a metal shield underneath the car during hard corners.  I am
in the process of grinding the shield back a little bit to provide
some clearance.  I will eventually be replacing (upgrading) the
shocks and the upper and lower coil links since the bushings look
pretty rough.

The front tire rubbing is a combination of low tire pressure and the
lower speedo cable not being secured.

I went through the relays just to look at their condition and found a
curious thing, two relays zip tied together.  Like an idiot, I cut
the zip tie and pulled the relays to look at them.  One of the relays
was the lambda the other one was........I don't remember.  Bottom
line is after doing this, the car wouldn't start.  A little reminder,
I bought this car from a guy who was a mechanic and he claimed he was
using the money for him to open a shop.  I now think I supported his
drug habbit for a few weeks, because instead of replacing a relay, he
found the exact position where the relay would work and zip tied it
there!!! New relays are in the mail.

I also replaced the headliner to remove the large grease spot from
the previous owner. (Man, I hope he reads these posts)

The BAD thing is the transmission.  Simple problem + cheap part =
major repair bill.  The second gear fork pin is broken resulting in
an intermittant problem with shifting into second gear.  Looks like
the transmission is going to need to be dropped and cracked open to
repair.  I'm not sure I have the stones to try that one....so I may
have to bite the bullet.  That will probably be one of the last
things fixed, unless someone in the DC/Maryland area is comfortable
enough to walk me through it some day. (I'll buy unlimited beer and
whatever, I mean WHATEVER you want to eat for the day if you help me
with that one)Coincidently, I found a receipt for that very part in
the car dated just a few days prior to my picking it up from the
seller, leading me to believe he knew about the problem, attempted to
repair it, but decided against it.  I'm actually glad he didn't fix
it, he probably would have had left over parts anyway.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even want to look at Stainless
Steel appliances right now.  Let my experience be a lesson to anyone
looking at a Delorean.....LOOK AT EVERYTHING! If something seems out
of place, LOOK CLOSER!  And under no circumstances should you have
your wife drop you off at a rest area 300 miles from home to pick up
a car you haven't seen yet based on the assurance of the previous
owner that the car needs nothing!!!!!!