Re: [DML] battery voltage loss

A little 101 on alternator basics.

 A lot of people might think that power comes from the battery,  But
that is not true,the source for all of that energy is the gas tank.
Yep. And the link from the gas tank to the battery is that mysterious
thing called the alternator. It takes mechanical power from the
crankshaft, transmits it via a "fan" belt, (it used to run the
cooling fan as well,but On the Deloreans,runs the Water pump and alt.
only) (or serpentine belt as it is called in most of the newer cars),
and turns the alternator. So, the main function of the alternator is
to convert power from the gasoline engine that drives your Delorean,
along the road, to electrical energy to keep the battery in tip-top
condition.

So, what happens when your alternator goes bad? Well, at first,
nothing. That is, because the battery has some reserve power in it,
enough to keep the engine running for quite some time, (with the "D"
orignal alt. charging it, maybe to the nearest safe spot to pull
over) others,many many miles in fact. So a bad alternator doesn't
necessarily mean a tow truck should be called right away. As long as
energy is conserved elsewhere, like turning off the blower motor, the
rear window de-fogger, the stereo and the headlights (if possible),
you could make it for some distance(again NOT with the orignal "D"
alt.) on just the battery reserve alone.

One major problem which will finally occur as the battery loses its
charge is that there will not be sufficient voltage to keep the
engine running well. What might and possibly WILL happen down the
road,is that the catalytic converter Could/would be glowing white hot
and flames coming from beneath the car.(You Don't want that, with a
oil based Fiberglass body!!)  What had/would happen is the alternator
quits, the battery runs down, the engine is not firing on all
cylinders and the unburned fuel is being burned in the catalytic
converter! Yikes!!

So, how do you know when your alternator is going bad? Most of the
time the alternator fails in stages. A little techie talk here. The
alternator gets its name from the fact that it generates alternating
current (AC).  Well the battery can't use alternating current so the
alternator output is fed into what are called diodes, which convert
the AC into DC. The alternator has a unique feature in that it is
able to generate a relatively high voltage while the engine is at
idle.  The alternator can do this since it is really three
alternators in one body. Each of the three sections of the alternator
generates its voltage out of phase with the other two sections. Since
the complete cycle (one revolution) of the alternator is 360 degrees,
each phase is shifted by 120 degrees from the next phase. So in one
revolution of the alternator it puts out three separate
voltages.What.. You didn't know that?

OK, back to the failure mode. Each of the three phases has its own
windings in the alternator and each of the windings has its own pair
of diodes. Each of these windings and/or diodes can fail, one set at
a time. If this happens the alternator can still charge the battery,
but only with a limited current, approximately 2/3 of its original
capacity if one system fails. If two systems fail, then it puts out
only 1/3 of its rated capacity. What that means to you is that you
can go a long time on a limping alternator. Chances are if you don't
need headlights or air conditioning or other high current using
accessories, you would never know that the alternator was in the
process of failing! The time you will find out is when it is 10 below
zero and you wear down the battery by cranking the starter, then put
the fan on high for heat, and then drive in the dark.

In your case I would think,you have one or more, bad Diodes,causing
your battery to discharge!!

So, how can you tell if your alternator is failing without taking it
apart and doing some measuring inside the alternator? It's really
pretty simple. You will need a simple voltmeter. You can get one at
Radio Shack for under ten dollars or thereabouts. Here's what you do -
 start the car, make sure all the accessories are off and rev up the
motor to a fast idle. Set the Voltmeter to the DC scale (not AC or
Ohms). Measure the voltage across the battery terminals - red lead of
the voltmeter on the positive terminal, black on the negative (ground
in most cars). The voltage should, and probably will, read around 14
volts. If it reads less than 12 volts you may indeed have a failed
alternator, and you can skip the next step. Next, turn on the heater,
the rear window de-fogger, the radio, the headlights and anything
else that draws power. Now rev up the motor and watch the voltmeter.
(DON'T USE the Delorean Voltmeter to test) It should still be reading
around 14 volts. If it reads lower than 13 volts the chances are that
your alternator is not up to snuff.(Time to switch to the improved
Vendor Alternators)

One last failure mode is of course noise. The rotor inside the
alternator rotates on bearings, normally very high precision needle
bearings, and these can fail. When they do you will hear a loud
grinding noise associated with the alternator. To isolate the noise
take a length of tubing, heater hose will do fine, put one end to
your ear and move the other around in the vicinity of the alternator.
The noise will be much louder when you point it at the alternator if
that is the culprit. Other possibilities are the water pump, which
are also driven by the engine belt. To further isolate the noise
disconnect the drive belt and spin the alternator by hand. If you
hear a rumble or grinding noise then the bearings are shot. If you
don't hear a noise the problem may still be in the alternator since
the bearing might be quiet without the loading of the drive belt
tension. Check for side play in the pulley. If you are pretty certain
the noise came from the alternator it is a relatively simple task to
take it apart and visually inspect the bearings, or else swap it in
for a improved Vendor(GM) alternator.

Also make sure to check the connections at the battery terminals and
also check to see that the voltage is the same at the alternator
terminal (the big fat one with the heavy wire attached) Check to make
sure the belts are tight and not slipping. Replace them if they are
cracked or shiny on the side that faces the alternator pulley.

One final thing to check - the field voltage. In order for the
alternator to generate electricity it must be supplied with a field
voltage. If you know which wire is the one that supplies the field
(normally labeled 'F') then simply check with a voltmeter to see if
there is 12 volts at the field. Another check is to use a hacksaw
blade or a lightweight screwdriver , anything magnetic, and hold it
near the side of the alternator with the ignition switch turned in
the on position. If there is a field voltage present then the metal
will be attracted magnetically to the side of the alternator, not
very strongly, but you will feel it pull the metal to the side of the
alternator.

Also you could install a cutoff on the battery,or disconnect the
battery,and check the battery 24hrs.later for voltage loss.

Hope this helps

CBL

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@xxxx> wrote:
> Brian, How is the alternator doing. If there is a problem in it,
that would
> be one place.
> John Hervey

Behalf Of