Re: [DML] *** SS water return pipe = Battery ***

Re: [DML] *** SS water return pipe = Battery ***

I'm definitely not an expert here but I'll try and explain. My father
who was a mechanical engineer used to tell me not to put aluminium and
stainles pans in the washing up together. There were corrosiion marks on
the ally pan and that was why. It's some sort of galvanic current which
pits the aluminium (I'm british :-). It'll happen in water that's not
pure - and anything short of distilled water is impure (distilled water
does not conduct electricity for the same reason)

However, if you're using decent anti-freeze, the anti-corrosion agents
in it should prevent the corrosion, and there'a  lot of metal to get
through before causing problems, but my 2p is why risk it at all? I know
of Lotus owners who've had trouble with stainless header tanks furring
up the radiators woth ally from the engine.

But I'm no expert - someone please prove me wrong :-)

Martin