Re: [DML] Ball joint failure

Hi

Same exact thing has happened to me in 6149 last sunday. I was driving a
highway speeds and then right after I slowed down and got onto a surface
street the lower ball joint on the passenger side has failed on me. The two
parts of the joint came apart. At this moment I was going very slowly...
first gear. Do our cars know just when to fail? The only damage on my car
was done by the lower control arm scraping the sh#$^% of my newly powder
coated rims.... auch. No damage to tire.
The reason for this was that the ball joint was completly dry inside - not
even a trace of grease. The ball joint was about two years old, with about
5k miles on it. It was NOT from one of the vendors.... I got it locally
because I didn't want to wait for the parts.
There was some indication of this coming. One day before it happened the
steering started to get really stiff. It was progressively harder and harder
to turn the wheel. I wanted to inspect the steering when I get home... not
on sunday at my girlfriends. I didn't make it home :)
I agree CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS - the question is HOW? The one that failed
looked perfectly normal.... until it came apart.
BTW, there was no way to lube the joint.

Tom Niemczewski
tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -> www.deloreana.com
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)